Skip to main content

How Sad to Never Feel Sad!

Pancakes
courtesy of freeimages.com


We had a rare moment with our son who was added to our family almost two years ago at the age of 8.  He sat at the restaurant table with me and my wife.  We were “eating out” to celebrate his birthday.  He wanted pancakes so we sat in the only restaurant in town that sold them.  He ordered the mini pancakes.  The pancakes were tiny.  When he said, “I will probably want more because this won’t fill me up” I knew better.  He is hardly ever hungry and almost never asks for more of anything.  Sure enough, when he had finished those few half dollar sized pancakes he didn’t want any more.  That probably is a result of lack of food in his early years.  He spent his first 8 years of life in an institution in Eastern Europe. 

Because of his background he has some difficulty forming attachments.  As we ate, my wife began asking him about feelings, i.e. “Can you think of one time when you were happy?”, “Can you think of one time when you were scared?” etc.  We’ve tried to ask him similar questions in the past but have not gotten very far.  He usually doesn’t want to reflect too much on his emotions or on his previous life.  This time however he did give some answers- little glimpses into his heart.  What follows is a summary of our conversation (his words are italicized):

What did you think of us the first time you saw us?

I just thought you were some people who were there to watch me play the computer.

Did they tell you that we wanted to adopt you?

No.  They don’t use that word much and I didn’t speak English so I didn’t understand.

Did they ask if you wanted to go to America?

They asked one time and I said, ‘I don’t know’ and they said ‘Go, then.’ so I went.
I wonder why the other boy didn’t want to be adopted.

Because he was scared and they kept telling him that his birth-mom would come get him, but she wasn’t going to.  (We had tried to adopt another boy along with our son but the psychologist at the institution kept telling the other boy that he should stay, that his mom would come for him, etc.)

Yeah.  They never do.  Once they leave you they never come back.

Have you ever felt sad?

No.  Well, when I don’t get to play the computer I am sad.

That’s more like disappointment.  You get disappointed when you can’t play the computer.  Sad means that you feel like you want to cry.  Do you remember that in the Bible it says that Jesus got sad and cried when Lazarus died?

Who was that? 

Lazarus was Jesus’ very good friend and he died.  That made Jesus sad and he cried.  Even Jesus got sad and cried sometimes.

Oh.

Have you ever been sad and felt like you wanted to cry?

No.

Weren’t you sad when you left your friends at the orphanage?

No.  Some of them weren’t my friends.

Children who have been institutionalized have huge obstacles to overcome.  Learning to form normal, healthy attachments can be one of them.  While our son struggles in this area, he has come a long way.  As to his statement that he has never been sad, that may be bravado, him not wanting to appear weak.

When he left the institution to live with us in his birth country until the adoption was finalized he never seemed sad.  When we took him back to the institution for the last time to finalize the paperwork there and for him to say his goodbyes he never seemed sad.  On the long plane ride home he never seemed sad.  However, upon arriving at the airport at Houston, we were hurrying through customs, collecting our luggage looking after all the other details that had to be taken care and looked down at our son to find that he was silently crying.  Was this grief? Or was it simply exhaustion from lack of sleep?  Could it have been a combination of both?

His words “Once they leave you they never come back” broke my heart.  As I tucked him into bed that night I hugged him and said, “I love you.  You are in our family forever.”  I hope he can dare to really believe that.

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Supper and Eating Unworthily

By far the most popular passage in Baptist churches concerning observing the Lord's Supper is 1 Corinthians 11:17-34.  A particular focus has been placed on verses 27-31 quoted below from the King James Version that many of us grew up with. 27  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29  For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30  For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. (1 Cor. 11:27-31 KJV) photo courtesy of www.freeimages.com Pastors often point to these verses as a warning to would be participants in the ordinance that they should first examine themselves so that they don't partake unworthily and come under Go

The Abusive Positive Confession Heresy

I was asked today whether I believed in the "power of the tongue".  The Christian who asked me this is from a charismatic background.  What she wanted to know is if I believe that we can speak negative things into existence in our lives.  Is it possible for me to create my own bad circumstances, i.e. cancer, sickness, tragedy, etc. by speaking them into existence?  She referenced the fact that God created the universe by simply speaking.  The implication is that words have power and, since we are created in God's image, our words have power also.  Since God's words can create, then we, His image-bearers, should also be able to create with our words.  We can literally speak things into existence, negative or positive.  This idea is called "positive/negative confession".  This is a heretical idea with no Scriptural support.  The Got Questions? website ( http://www.gotquestions.org/positive-confession.html ) has a good refutation of the positive confession he

Where Will You Be Found?

One of my favorite verses is Philippians 3:9.  The HCSB translates it like this: ...and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own from the law, but one that is through faith in Christ- the righteousness from God based on faith. I would like to expound on this verse a little and explain why it is special to me.  First of all, it speaks of being found . The fact is that each one of us is found in either a good spiritual state or a bad spiritual state in God's eyes.  The Scripture says in Hebrews 4:13 that "No creature is hidden from Him, but all things are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give an account." The first thing that Adam did after he sinned was to try to cover his guilt with leaves and hide from God in the shadows.  The first thing God did was find Adam and call him to account for what he had done. Knowing that I am unable to hide myself from God's all-seeing eyes, and that I must give an account to Him causes me to be in a