Skip to main content

Justification

Job asked, "...how can a person be justified before God?" Job 9:2 (HCSB).  Could there be any question of greater importance?  I'm a champion at justifying myself by comparing myself to others.  How many times have I said, "I'm not perfect but at least I don't act like so-and-so!"  But God doesn't compare my righteousness with that of others, He compares it to His own.  The Bible says that it is God to whom I must one day give an account.  Hebrews 4:13  So the question is not "Am I more righteous than my neighbor?" but rather "How can I be righteous enough for God?" The Bible clearly says that I am a sinner and in need of righteousness.  Rom. 3:23 Rom. 3:10  Furthermore, God is holy and has no fellowship with sinners.  The Bible describes this holiness as being like light and sin being like darkness.
Now this is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light, and there is absolutely no darkness in Him.  If we say, “We have fellowship with Him,” yet we walk in darkness, we are lying and are not practicing the truth.  1 John 1:5-6 (HCSB)
Justification means "to be declared righteous".  How can a sinful man be declared righteous by a holy Judge?  The answer is the theological term imputation which means "to put something on another's account".  The Bible tells us that, because of Christ's sacrificial death in our place, God imputed our sin debt to Jesus. 1 Peter 2:24 Colossians 2:14  While this is wonderful news, justification cannot be complete without a second imputation.  Not only does God impute our sin to Jesus' account, He also imputes His own righteousness to our account when we place our faith in the Savior.  
…and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own from the law, but one that is through faith in Christ—the righteousness from God based on faith.  Philippians 3:9 (HCSB)
He made the One who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.  2 Corinthians 5:21 (HCSB)
It is important to recognize that God's righteousness is imputed to sinners based upon faith alone. There are no works that man can do to earn a righteous standing before God.  Isaiah 64:6
If Abraham was justified by works, he has something to brag about—but not before God.  For what does the Scripture say?
Abraham believed God,
and it was credited to him for righteousness.
Now to the one who works, pay is not considered as a gift, but as something owed. But to the one who does not work, but believes on Him who declares the ungodly to be righteous, his faith is credited for righteousness.  Romans 4:2-5 (HCSB)
I am praising God for His incredible mercy and grace He displays by justifying sinners like me. Because He has declared me to be righteous, then I have great security in my standing before Him.
What then are we to say about these things?
If God is for us, who is against us?He did not even spare His own Son
but offered Him up for us all;
how will He not also with Him grant us everything?
Who can bring an accusation against God’s elect?
God is the One who justifies.
Who is the one who condemns?
Christ Jesus is the One who died,
but even more, has been raised;
He also is at the right hand of God
and intercedes for us.  Romans 8:31-34 (HCSB)

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Supper and Eating Unworthily

By far the most popular passage in Baptist churches concerning observing the Lord's Supper is 1 Corinthians 11:17-34.  A particular focus has been placed on verses 27-31 quoted below from the King James Version that many of us grew up with. 27  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29  For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30  For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. (1 Cor. 11:27-31 KJV) photo courtesy of www.freeimages.com Pastors often point to these verses as a warning to would be participants in the ordinance that they should first examine themselves so that they don't partake unworthily and come under Go

The Abusive Positive Confession Heresy

I was asked today whether I believed in the "power of the tongue".  The Christian who asked me this is from a charismatic background.  What she wanted to know is if I believe that we can speak negative things into existence in our lives.  Is it possible for me to create my own bad circumstances, i.e. cancer, sickness, tragedy, etc. by speaking them into existence?  She referenced the fact that God created the universe by simply speaking.  The implication is that words have power and, since we are created in God's image, our words have power also.  Since God's words can create, then we, His image-bearers, should also be able to create with our words.  We can literally speak things into existence, negative or positive.  This idea is called "positive/negative confession".  This is a heretical idea with no Scriptural support.  The Got Questions? website ( http://www.gotquestions.org/positive-confession.html ) has a good refutation of the positive confession he

Where Will You Be Found?

One of my favorite verses is Philippians 3:9.  The HCSB translates it like this: ...and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own from the law, but one that is through faith in Christ- the righteousness from God based on faith. I would like to expound on this verse a little and explain why it is special to me.  First of all, it speaks of being found . The fact is that each one of us is found in either a good spiritual state or a bad spiritual state in God's eyes.  The Scripture says in Hebrews 4:13 that "No creature is hidden from Him, but all things are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give an account." The first thing that Adam did after he sinned was to try to cover his guilt with leaves and hide from God in the shadows.  The first thing God did was find Adam and call him to account for what he had done. Knowing that I am unable to hide myself from God's all-seeing eyes, and that I must give an account to Him causes me to be in a