Skip to main content

My First Post

This is my first post as a blogger.  It is my plan to use this blog to discuss God, the gospel, the Bible, doctrine, books, etc.  I am a believer in Jesus Christ.  My hope for forgiveness of my sin and a right relationship with God is in Jesus and His substitutionary death for me.  I am firmly convinced that the Bible is completely inspired by God... it is His word to man without error in the original manuscripts and completely true in every area.  As such the Bible is God's authoritative rule and guide for my life.  More to come as I get a better grip on how to do this blogging thing.

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Supper and Eating Unworthily

By far the most popular passage in Baptist churches concerning observing the Lord's Supper is 1 Corinthians 11:17-34.  A particular focus has been placed on verses 27-31 quoted below from the King James Version that many of us grew up with. 27  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29  For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30  For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. (1 Cor. 11:27-31 KJV) photo courtesy of www.freeimages.com Pastors often point to these verses as a warning to would be participants in the ordinance that they should first examine themselves so that they don't partake unworthily and come under Go

The Abusive Positive Confession Heresy

I was asked today whether I believed in the "power of the tongue".  The Christian who asked me this is from a charismatic background.  What she wanted to know is if I believe that we can speak negative things into existence in our lives.  Is it possible for me to create my own bad circumstances, i.e. cancer, sickness, tragedy, etc. by speaking them into existence?  She referenced the fact that God created the universe by simply speaking.  The implication is that words have power and, since we are created in God's image, our words have power also.  Since God's words can create, then we, His image-bearers, should also be able to create with our words.  We can literally speak things into existence, negative or positive.  This idea is called "positive/negative confession".  This is a heretical idea with no Scriptural support.  The Got Questions? website ( http://www.gotquestions.org/positive-confession.html ) has a good refutation of the positive confession he

Where Will You Be Found?

One of my favorite verses is Philippians 3:9.  The HCSB translates it like this: ...and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own from the law, but one that is through faith in Christ- the righteousness from God based on faith. I would like to expound on this verse a little and explain why it is special to me.  First of all, it speaks of being found . The fact is that each one of us is found in either a good spiritual state or a bad spiritual state in God's eyes.  The Scripture says in Hebrews 4:13 that "No creature is hidden from Him, but all things are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give an account." The first thing that Adam did after he sinned was to try to cover his guilt with leaves and hide from God in the shadows.  The first thing God did was find Adam and call him to account for what he had done. Knowing that I am unable to hide myself from God's all-seeing eyes, and that I must give an account to Him causes me to be in a